Oxygen True Crime, the home of high-quality, true crime programming, explores the captivating inmate tapes of renowned psychiatrist Dr. Al Carlisle, that were previously thought to be lost to history. Recording his conversations with some of America’s most heinous killers, these tapes helped him discover what drives a seemingly normal person to become obsessed with murder, exhibit violent tendencies and psychopathic behaviors. Produced by Ample Entertainment and Motiv8 Media, “Violent Minds: Killers on Tape” premieres Sunday, April 2 @ 7PM ET/PT. The complete series will also stream on Peacock.
The premiere will feature two back-to-back episodes focused on Dr. Carlisle’s conversations with Ted Bundy after he was arrested and charged for aggravated kidnapping in Utah in 1975. Dr. Carlisle met Bundy before he would become known as one of the world’s most notorious serial killers. Bundy’s duplicitousness made everyone believe he was an upstanding citizen. Tasked by the judge to evaluate his potential for evil to help determine an appropriate sentencing, Dr. Carlisle went the extra mile to develop a comprehensive portrait of Bundy by speaking and recording his conversations with his mother, friends, girlfriend, and exes. This all culminated to a chilling and unforgettable discovery.
Before criminal profiling and the FBI’s Behavioral Analysis Unit existed, Dr. Carlisle dared to reach into the minds of the most dangerous killers in the world. Raised as a devout Mormon, Dr. Carlisle firmly believed that everyone is born good and wondered how does one become a monster? He believed if we can understand how one becomes violent, we might be able to stop killers before they claim their first victim. Dr. Carlisle recorded most of his conversations with killers as he searched for an answer.
After Carlisle’s death in 2018, his family discovered over 650 hours of inmate tapes which forensic experts thought were just rumored to exist. This Oxygen True Crime documentary series centers on various inmates, many of whom were imprisoned in the Utah state prison during the 1970s and ’80s. Additional killers profiled in the series include the HiFi Killers, Arthur Gary Bishop, and Manny Cortez.
The new season will feature seven, 60-minute episodes and two supersized, 90-minute episodes. The loglines and airdates for the first six are listed below.
· Dr. Al Carlisle’s descent into the violent mind begins by chance when he’s asked to run a psychological evaluation on a man who will go on to become one of America’s most infamous serial killers: Theodore Robert Bundy.
· Dr. Carlisle’s evaluation of Ted Bundy is over, but his work on the notorious serial killer has just begun. As Dr. Carlisle develops his theory of the development of the violent mind, Bundy escapes from prison and goes on a murderous rampage.
April 9 (supersized episode)
· Dr. Al Carlisle’s study of the violent mind continues when the men convicted of Utah’s horrific Hi-Fi Shop mass murders enters the Utah State Prison, awaiting a death sentence.
· When a new inmate at the Utah State Prison claims he cannot remember the crime that sent him to prison, Dr. Carlisle’s experiments with hypnosis reveal a violent alternate personality hidden just beneath the surface.
April 23 (Supersized episode)
· Dr. Carlisle’s Mormon faith is tested when Arthur Gary Bishop asks for his help in understanding how he became a serial killer.
· Dr. Carlisle discovers a surprising link between the traumas of war and the development of the violent mind when he interviews a Vietnam War veteran turned killer
“Violent Minds: Killer on Tape” is produced by Ample Entertainment and Motiv8. Ari Mark, Phil Lott and Kathryn Vaughan serve as executive producers from Ample along with Kara Kurcz and Brian Lee from Motiv8.
ABOUT OXYGEN TRUE CRIME
Oxygen True Crime is a multiplatform crime destination for women. Oxygen True Crime remains one of the fastest-growing cable entertainment networks with popular original programming, including the flagship “Snapped” franchise, “Cold Justice,” “Injustice with Nancy Grace” and breakout event series such as “Catching a Serial Killer: Sam Little,” “Kim Kardashian: The Justice Project” and “Aaron Hernandez Uncovered.” The network’s digital platform continues to reign as the #1 website dedicated to true crime, and in 2022 the network had its best year in primetime in eight years. Oxygen True Crime’s over-the-air platform recently launched in select US markets. Oxygen True Crime is part of NBCUniversal Television and Streaming’s Entertainment portfolio, which includes NBC, Bravo, E!, Oxygen True Crime, SYFY, Universal Kids, USA Network, and Peacock. For more information, visit oxygen.com.
Leave a Reply