Netflix says no more Kevin Spacey on ‘House of Cards’

Photo by: Maryland GovPics – Governor Tours the House of Cards Set (2013), CC BY 2.0

“Netflix will not be involved with any further production of ‘House of Cards‘ that includes Kevin Spacey,” the company said in a statement on November 4, 2017. Netflix said it will work with the show’s production company MRC to evaluate whether it will continue without him.

In October 2017, actor Anthony Rapp alleged that Spacey, while appearing drunk, made a sexual advance to him in 1986, when Rapp was 14 years old. In response, Spacey said he did not remember the encounter, but that if he had behaved as described by Rapp, he owed him “the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior.”

Subsequently, others came forward alleging similar episodes of abuse, including journalist Heather Unruh, filmmaker Tony Montana, actor Roberto Cavazos, and eight people who worked on the show House of Cards. The Guardian newspaper claims to have been contacted by “a number of people” who worked at the Old Vic, where Spacey was artistic director for 11 years, alleging he “groped and behaved in an inappropriate way with young men at the time.”

In the midst of the allegations against Spacey, House of Cards was canceled, with the filming of its sixth and final season suspended. The show was due to end its run in 2018. The decision to end the drama had been made prior to the allegations.

It was also announced that Spacey would not be returning to House of Cards in any capacity, and a Gore Vidal biopic he had filmed and was set to be distributed by Netflix would no longer see a release. The International Academy of Television Arts and Sciences decided that “in light of recent events” it will not honor Spacey with the 2017 International Emmy Founders Award.

On November 1, Spacey stated that he would be seeking “evaluation and treatment” for his behavior. On November 2, Variety reported that Spacey’s publicist Staci Wolfe and his talent agency CAA were ending their relationships with the actor due to the assault allegations.

The 58-year-old Spacey was nominated for best drama actor Emmy Awards during each of the show’s first five seasons but never won. He played a ruthless politician who ascends to the presidency of the United States. Co-star Robin Wright is also a central player on the show, and it could conceivably continue with a focus on her.

Production on the show had already been suspended on Tuesday. Netflix says it also will refuse to release the film “Gore,” in which Spacey stars as the writer Gore Vidal and also acted as producer. CNN reported that eight current or former “House of Cards” workers claim that Spacey made the production a “toxic” workplace and one ex-employee alleges the actor sexually assaulted him.

Spacey has not been arrested or charged with any crime. His publicist did not immediately return an email message late Friday night seeking comment. A publicist said earlier this week that Spacey is “taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment.”

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *